7WLM0003 Evidence Based Practice (Distance - Lvl 7) (Online)
School of study
School of Life and Medical Sciences
- Online - Part Time
- health, social care, or other similar public service workers who have studied successfully at level 6 or equivalent
Please note that if you wish to apply to the full Master course after completing this credit bearing course, please visit the Master of Public Health (online) course page for entry requirements.
Find out more about international entry requirements
See what system requirements are needed for online study
View our simple steps to a successful application (PDF - 0.17 Mb)
Sign up for alerts
About the course
This online course will enable you to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the different levels of evidence and their hierarchy
- engage in a dialogue with tutors and other students to identify relevant questions that reflect your specialty area and personal interests
- systematically and critically construct comprehensive, sensitive and specific search strategies constructed to answer a specific evidence-based research question
- using an appropriate tool, critically appraise relevant evidence to determine its quality and suitability within the context of their practice.
For more information, please email our Online Degrees Team.
The course offers the opportunity to pursue interests in evidence based practice which can support career development (see ‘further study’ section below).
Who should attend this course?
- anyone working in health care, social care or similar public health service, who wants to enhance their conceptual underpinning and practical skills in order to improve individual and population health
- the course is tailored implicitly towards the needs of diverse health professionals including doctors, pharmacists, nurses, midwives, public health nurses for allied health, social care and professionals, and for the wider public health workforce in the non-governmental sector
- for those who are not ready to commit to the complete degree yet and would like to try one module to see how online study will fit around their work and life commitments.
You will construct a research question and search strategy, conduct systematic searches of on-line databases, internet and other sources of information; appraise the evidence base of health and social care practice and interventions through the use of a range of tools; apply and critically explore, through discussion and debate, the contextual factors which influence application of evidence to practice. An in-depth understanding of the nature and use of evidence in practice as well as reviewing research paradigms and research design will be addressed. Methodological principles of cost-effectiveness, including the evidence base of cost effectiveness and trade-offs between effectiveness and cost - tensions and similarities will be debated. Enhancing your awareness of the political and contextual factors affecting transferring evidence to practice, will be highlighted.
For students who want to further develop and enhance their skills and knowledge in and public health, this course can also be used towards the following pathways:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health
- Master of Public Health
The Master of Public Health course has been validated by the Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation (APHEA). This is an independent international accreditation organisation, providing international and transparent recognition of the quality of the public health masters programme.
The course is delivered online, with live webinars and with the use of audio and video resources to generate debate and discussion.
|Start Date||End Date||Link|
|21/09/2023||31/01/2024||Apply online (Distance (Part Time))|
|20/01/2024||22/05/2024||Apply online (Distance (Part Time))|
|Start Date||End Date||Link|
|21/09/2024||31/01/2025||Apply online (Distance (Part Time))|
|20/01/2025||22/05/2025||Apply online (Distance (Part Time))|
2022/23 price for 15 credits: £800
2022/23 price for 30 credits: £1600