13~17 year olds - Exploring Contemporary Photography Summer School
About the course
Come and explore contemporary photography and develop a personal photographic vision.
Through a combination of lectures, demonstrations, workshops and in-class exercises, you will explore different techniques, materials and processes in both analogue and digital photography. You will explore different photographic themes and create photographs through selecting specific photographic processes: which will include camera obscure, gelatin silver printing, three points lighting, lighting ratio and colour management.
- Day 1 - You will explore the characteristics of light and the structure of a Camera Obscura. We will go through the concept of previsualisation and understand different metering methods. In this workshop, you will develop your first Gelatin Silver Print by applying the concept of a Zone System.
- Day 2 - You will explore camera-less photography and understand the characteristics of a photogram. We will work with different light-sensitive materials and create our own photographic papers. In this workshop, we will discuss the relationship between materials and photography.
- Day 3 - You will explore and test different darkroom photographic techniques, understanding the relationship between use of light and time in the gelatin silver printing process. In this workshop, we will discuss the relationship between time, memory and photography.
- Day 4 - You will test different types of artificial lighting methods and explore classic lighting setups for studio photography. In this workshop, we will go through the concept of Three Points Lighting, Lighting Ratio and composition principles in photography.
- Day 5 - You will explore the digital photography workflow, file format, colour space and concept of colour management. In this workshop, we will discuss the characteristics of objective and subjective exposure in different scenarios.
At the end of the course, you will typically: have knowledge and understanding of:
- Different techniques, material and processes in both analogue and digital photography.
- Basic darkroom processing techniques.
- Basic digital photography workflow, colour management and image processing skills.
- A range of photographic skills and language in contemporary photography.
Monday 01 August to Friday 05 August 2022, 09:30-15:30
If you wish to discuss this or any other creative art short course please contact the short course team on 01707 285327 or email@example.com
Signing in is from 9.20am and 9.25am each day in the Art Gallery and the summer workshops will start at 9.30. We finish at 15.30pm. You will need to be picked up promptly at 15.30pm, again from the Art Gallery. Parents and carers, if you have any problems and think that you may be late, please let us know by calling 01707 285327.
Where to find us
For directions of the campus site, please follow the link below where you can download a map of the College Lane Campus:
The drop off point is the Art Gallery, and you can find this by our wayfinding app here. We suggest you park in one the bays around the nearby Lindop Building for drop off. You can drop off anytime between 9.20am and 9.25am. Collection is promptly at 15.30. nb There is a strict 30-minute limit to free parking. If you are over this time, we suggest paying for a 1-hour car park ticket to avoid a fine from our external parking providers.
We have an exciting programme of activities planned. You will find out more about art and design courses and you will be meet practising artists and designers. Each group will have an assistant art tutor with them for the whole time you are here, and you will meet them on your first morning. They can help you with any concerns you have while you are here.
Parents/Guardians: When registering, please enrol with your own details. There is a field on the enrolment paperwork where you can enter your son or daughter's name and age.
We need contact numbers so we can contact parents/carers at any time. These details need to be confirmed on the form attached to the email. Should you need to contact us please phone the Short Course Office on 01707 285327. It is very important that we know in advance if you cannot for any reason be collected on time at the end of the day.
Wear suitable and comfortable clothes as you may get messy and dirty (that is what art is all about!). An overall, apron or large shirt would be ideal.
Food & Drink
You will need to bring your own packed lunch. Water will be available during breaks and lunchtime.
Materials to bring along
All materials needed for all the summer schools will be provided by the University.
If you need to bring any medication with you, please make sure it is clearly labelled with your child’s name and any instructions. These can be administered by us provided the medical permission form enclosed has been signed by a parent or carer and handed in on arrival on your first day.
|Start Date||End Date||Day and Time||Cost||Link|
|01/08/2022||05/08/2022||Monday to Friday 09:30 - 15:30||£200.00||Apply online|