MSc Pharmacy Practice
Why choose Herts?
- Funding Available: Funding is available from Health Education, England. In addition, University of Hertfordshire students are eligible for a 20% discount on Postgraduate Study.
- Excellent Reputation: You will experience clinical and therapeutic focused study within our internationally renowned simulation suite and teaching facilities, including Europe's largest medical simulation laboratory.
- Industry Accreditations: The curriculum follows the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s Foundation Pharmacy Framework (FPF). The Pharmacist Independent Prescribing module is accredited by the General Pharmaceutical Council.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The course has been developed in partnership with Joint Programmes Board (JPB) London, East and South East England.
About the course
The aim of the MSc Pharmacy Practice programme is to equip practitioners with the core skills and competencies they require to provide pharmaceutical and patient care in their practice setting within a multidisciplinary team.
Students undertake the certificate in year 1 with progression to the diploma in year 2 and have the option of completing the MSc in year 3. The certificate and diploma develops core clinical pharmacy and therapeutic skills with a focus on the management of patients on acute and long-term conditions and patient safety. The programme offers optional modules at the MSc level, including practice research modules and the Pharmacist Independent Prescribing module accredited by the General Pharmaceutical Council. Minimum level criteria apply for students wishing to undertake the Pharmacist Independent Prescribing optional module and additional learning outcomes apply to this module.
Students undertake work-based learning that is supported by a recognised work-based tutor and attend study days at the university of Hertfordshire.
Why choose this course?
The programme offers
- 2 year course for Diploma in Pharmacy Practice with the option of a 3rd year for an MSc in Pharmacy Practice
- Clinical and therapeutic focused study days supported by out internationally renowned simulation suite
- Directed learning with progression to self-directed learning
- Learning and sharing of experiences with colleagues from other hospitals
- Programme linked to the Foundation Pharmacy Framework
- An opportunity for transferring credits/qualifications between universities participating within the JPB collaboration (subject to approval)
- Historically, funding has always been available from Health Education, England.
What will I study?
Our school, at the University of Hertfordshire offers world-class teaching and learning facilities, including Europe's largest medical simulation laboratory.
Take a virtual tour of our facilities at the School of Pharmacy
|Service Review and Improvement||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Applied Therapeutics||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Development in the NHS (Work Based)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Pharmaceutical Care (Work Based)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Health Disciplines Project||30 Credits||Optional|
|Evidence Based Practice||30 Credits||Optional|
|Project (ACPP)||60 Credits||Optional|
|Pharmacist Independent Prescribing L7||30 Credits||Optional|
Programme Tutor Dr Nkiruka Umaru
Find out more about Programme Tutor Dr Nkiruka Umaru
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Pharmacy Practice||Download|
|MSc Pharmacy Practice||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.