Why choose Herts?
- Funding Available: Funding is available from Health Education England. In addition, University of Hertfordshire graduates are eligible for a 20% discount on postgraduate study fees.
- Excellent Reputation: Experience clinical and therapeutic focused study within our internationally renowned simulation suite and teaching facilities, including Europe's largest medical simulation laboratory.
- Industry Accreditations: The curriculum follows the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s Foundation Pharmacy Framework (FPF). The Pharmacist Independent Prescribing module is accredited by the General Pharmaceutical Council.
The course has been developed in partnership with Joint Programmes Board (JPB) London, East and South East England.
About the course
The aim of the MSc Pharmacy Practice programme is to equip practitioners with the core skills and competencies they require to provide pharmaceutical and patient care in their practice setting within a multidisciplinary team.
Students undertake the certificate in year one with progression to the diploma in year two and have the option of completing the MSc in year three. The postgraduate certificate and postgraduate diploma develops core clinical pharmacy and therapeutic skills with a focus on the management of patients with acute and long-term conditions and patient safety. The programme offers practice research project modules at the MSc level, including optional modules.
Students undertake work-based learning, supported by a recognised work-based tutor and attend study days at the University.
Why choose this course?
1st for Biosciences in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023).
The programme offers:
- greater choice with optional modules aligned to your interests
- clinical and therapeutic focused study days supported by our internationally renowned simulation suite
- directed learning with progression to self-directed learning
- learning and sharing of experiences with colleagues from other hospitals
- programme linked to the Foundation Pharmacy Framework
- an opportunity to transfer credits/qualifications between universities participating within the JPB collaboration (subject to approval).
What will I study?
Our School at the University of Hertfordshire offers world-class teaching and learning facilities, including Europe's largest medical simulation laboratory.
Take a virtual tour of our facilities at the School of Pharmacy.
|Clinical Patient Assessment and Consultation||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Clinical Patient Care 1||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Evidence Based Provision of Pharmaceutical Services||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Clinical Patient Care 2||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Clinical Patient Care 3||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Leadership, Education and Developing Others||30 Credits||Optional|
|Evidence Based Practice||30 Credits||Optional|
|Therapeutics of Skin Conditions||30 Credits||Optional|
|Project (ACPP)||60 Credits||Optional|
|Service Review and Improvement||30 Credits||Optional|
|Service Development Project||30 Credits||Optional|
|Parenteral Drug Administration and Therapeutic Drug Monitoring||15 Credits||Optional|
|Pharmaceutical Care for Older People||15 Credits||Optional|
|Paediatric Pharmaceutical Care||15 Credits||Optional|
|Pharmaceutical Care in Oncology||15 Credits||Optional|
|Pharmacist Independent Prescribing L7||30 Credits||Optional|
|Promoting Health||30 Credits||Optional|
Programme Leader Thaiba Bashir
Find out more about Programme Leader Thaiba Bashir
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Pharmacy Practice||Download|
|MSc Pharmacy Practice||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.