MSc International Business with Advanced Research
Why choose Herts?
- Advanced research option: You will have an opportunity to develop enhanced critical and research skills to support your career and academic goals.
- Employment prospects: Our graduates are Business Developers, Senior Managers, and Commercial Operation Managers in organisations including Royal Mail, Network Rail, and BT.
- Industry connections: Hertfordshire Business School is very well connected and hosts regular business networking events with large organisations such as BT, Tesco, and Ocado.
About the course
MSc International Business is an innovative flagship programme with flexible entry points and pathways. The programme is designed to help you build a strong understanding of the way organisations operate globally, and help develop specialist skills that enable you to work effectively across national borders.
The Programme offers 3 award routes that you can choose to study:
- One-year full-time MSc International Business (September & January entry)
- Two-year MSc International Business (Sandwich) (September entry only)
- Two-year MSc International Business with Advanced Research (September & January entry)
The two-year MSc International Business (with Advanced Research) offers you the opportunity to enjoy a broad experience of study and culture in the UK.
The first year offers you the opportunity to explore international business in a number of areas, including economics, finance, strategy, marketing, management, human resource, and supply chain management.
The second year modules are aimed at enhancing the skills that you will require when you graduate – whether it is to continue with your studies or enter employment. Alongside these modules, you will have the opportunity to conduct an independent major research project in your area of interest.
Throughout the programme, you will gain a unique combination of skills sought after by employers all over the world. These include communication, numeracy, team-working, cross-cultural awareness, reflective learning and the ability to critically analyse complex business challenges to reach considered creative solutions.
You will also build a strong network of international contacts – some will become your close friends, and a few may even become your future business partners.
No tuition fee is charged for the second year of this course.
Why choose this course?
The two-year MSc International Business (with Advanced Research) programme is a great opportunity for you to spend a longer period of time and enjoy a wider experience of postgraduate study in the UK. It also provides you the opportunity to
- Study a range of business subjects from a holistic perspective in an international business context
- Develop a unique combination of skills that are transferrable at professional workplace and sought after by employers worldwide
- Benefit from a summer vacation period when you can gain extra work experience, travel or relax
- Work on your final research project during designated term time and have longer period to improve your academic profile
- Engage in a wider university curriculum with our diverse community, and enhance your employability and graduate with more than just a degree (Go Herts Awards)
- Obtain a two-year study visa and enjoy a wider experience of study and work in the UK (for international students)
- Business and Management Studies ranked in the top 25% of UK universities for research impact (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
In the first two semesters, you will study 8 subjects led by experts in the field which include economics, finance, strategy, marketing, human resource and supply chain management.
On completion of your first year of academic study you will have a summer vacation which you can use for work, travelling and/or relaxing.
In the second academic year, you will study two advanced modules, “Professional Consultancy Skills” and “Advanced Business Research”. There is a mix of softer and harder skills, such as negotiation, communication, time management, change management, as well as advanced research skills with in-depth knowledge of software like SPSS, NVivo and others via LinkedIn learning. In addition, you will conduct an independent major research project supported by a supervisor.
You will be taught through a varied programme of teaching and learning that includes small group discussions, practical workshops, web-based learning, case study analysis and lectures. Sessions will be delivered by subject specialists as well as practitioners and consultants to provide a diverse perspective on the topics covered.
You will be assessed individually or in teams through a variety of assessment methods including written reports of various lengths, presentations, in-class tests and practical assignments. You will also be required to complete a longer research project for the research component of your programme.
|The Global Economy||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International Business Strategy||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International Supply Chain Management||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Global e-Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Finance for International Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Marketing Across Cultures||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International and Comparative HRM||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for the Workplace||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Leadership and Management in International Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research and Project Skills||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc IB Major Research Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Business Research||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional and Consultancy Skills||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Business Research Methods||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Accounting and Finance for International Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr Ketty Grishikashvili
Deputy Programme Leader (Advanced Research)
Find out more about Dr Ketty Grishikashvili
Dr Priyanka Roy
Find out more about Dr Priyanka Roy
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc International Business with Advanced Research||Download|
|MSc International Business||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
I am glad that the programme offered me the opportunity to work with multicultural people. I have been able to meet students from all around the world. I talk about my experiences and lifestyle with them and they share theirs which has made me aware of wide range of cultural backgrounds…… I have developed my understanding of how to communicate and work as part of an effective team. I have improved my confidence in my own leaderships abilities and also my understanding of why it is necessary sometimes to be the leader and not always the follower.
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.