Why choose Herts?
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work for a wide range of fashion marketing agencies, fashion manufacturers and fashion outlets.
- Industry Experience: Previous students have gained project experience with fashion brands such as Prada, River Island, and Sprint working on live briefs, fashion-shoots, and supported major national and international fashion events.
- Industry Connections: Benefit from our strong links in the fashion industry with organisations including Prada, F&F, Ellesse, and Sadie Williams.
About the course
- On this MA Fashion degree you will develop your professional skills as an fashion designer.
- Work with design professionals of international standing.
- This postgraduate degree will allow you to work in professional and industrial contexts.
- Develop a range of research skills.
- Exhibit your work and work as a tutor/mentor with our undergraduates.
Why choose this course?
MA Fashion is a Masters award within the MA Art and Design programme at the School of Creative Arts. Within the programme there is strong emphasis on professional practice and the real-world applications of art and design. You will develop key research skills and gain a good understanding of the work of other practitioners in your field.
Through working alongside artists and designers on other Fashion postgraduate course, you will explore the possibilities for the fashion designer today, questioning conventions and refining your practice and design capabilities by working with and understanding materials. The course provides you with research skills and an understanding of fashion and its contexts and, at the end of your studies, you will have the expertise to promote your own practice, either as a small business or in the context of global fashion markets.
Our staff are experienced in research, industry and professional practice, and you will also benefit from contributions from visiting fashion designers and design professionals, as well as from involvement with our international exhibitions programme. Our fashion courses also have close links with a wide range of industry partners and contribute to major national and international events in the fashion industry.
The Postgraduate Fashion programme is to equipped to provide you with the skills, knowledge and understanding required to practice at an advanced level, as well as fostering your creativity and enhancing your employment opportunities. Induction, seminars and social events for students and staff mean that you will be part of a friendly and supportive postgraduate community, which also includes film makers, musicians and professionals working in new media. Senior research staff and internationally renowned artists work with postgraduate students, helping you to develop original and challenging work.
What will I study?
Particular emphasis is given to providing you with the skills necessary to further your career as a fashion designer. The course is designed to help you understand and work within the contemporary industrial environment and particular attention is given to helping you acquire entrepreneurial skills.
|Creative Economies||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Major Study: Fashion||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research and Enquiry||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Practice 1: Design||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Practice 2: Design||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Discourse and Reflection: Design||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research and Enquiry (Online)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Creative Economies (Online)||15 Credits||Optional|
Find out more about Julian Lindley
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MA Design (Fashion)||Download|
|MA Design (Fashion)||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.