MSc Automotive Engineering
Why choose Herts?
- Excellent Reputation: Every Formula One racing team includes a University of Hertfordshire Automotive Engineering graduate.
- Employment Prospects: Our students have worked for organisations including McLaren, Ferrari, and Mercedes.
- Industry Connections: Benefit from our long-established links with organisations including BMW, Nissan, and McLaren who support with work placements and attend careers fairs or practical workshops.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The MSc Automotive Engineering course is accredited by RAes and IMechE and is accredited as meeting the further learning requirement for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration for the cohort intakes from 2016 up to and including, the January 2020 intake. The programme has been recently reviewed and updated by the University as part of its regular periodic review process, and we will be seeking IMechE accreditation for the 2020/21 intake.
About the course
This MSc in Automotive Engineering is specifically designed to enhance the employment and promotional opportunities of graduates in mechanical and automotive engineering. The programme considers in depth key areas of automotive technology. Its integrated design covers both the technological and management aspects of the motor industry. The programme aims to:
- equip you with the theory and the practice of relevant materials, technologies and analytical tools to provide solutions for automotive design and manufacturing problems
- provide the opportunity for you to use creativity and innovation in the application of technology to the development of the automobile
- focus on the links between vehicle programmes and the supporting skills of project management
- develop your skills and application experience through case studies and project work
- enhance your prospects of professional employment within the industry
Why choose this course?
- The University has been running automotive degree courses for almost forty years and is very well-established within the automotive industry;
- We have some 250 undergraduate and postgraduate students reading automotive engineering so are one of the largest providers of automotive engineering degree courses in the UK;
- We have excellent facilities in automotive engineering technology including in-house engine dyno facilities, a rolling road, a four poster shaker rig and a Cruden driver in the loop vehicle simulator
What will I study?
The School of Engineering and Computer Science has a reputation for innovation in teaching and learning, where nearly all MSc modules are delivered through a combination of traditional face-to-face teaching and backup tutorial's using the University's Canvas web based facility. Canvas allows students to access electronic teaching and learning resources, and conduct electronic discussions with staff and other students. A heavy emphasis is placed on theory and practice, and the School of Engineering and Technology has a policy of using industrial standard software wherever possible. The School of Engineering and Technology also operate an open access laboratory, and computer policy, that will help students complete coursework and assignments, at a scheduled pace and on time.
|Automotive Dynamics & Safety||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Automotive Electrical Systems||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Sustainable Business of Engineering||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|CAE & Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Electric Vehicle Technology||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|CFD & Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Automotive Materials & Manufacture||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Automotive Engineering||Download|
|MSc (Modular) Automotive Engineering||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.