About the course
This course is available to UK/EU students only.
Please note that this course is suspended at North Herts College and West Herts College for 2020 entry.
This two-year programme is designed to give you the skills, knowledge and expertise necessary to enter a career Law. Additionally, it will develop your understanding of the role of business in society and develop knowledge of the main functional areas; accounting, marketing and human resources.
You will acquire knowledge of UK and European laws. You will examine and demonstrate principles of contract and commercial law, and apply them to business scenarios. You will identify interpret and explain standard clauses in business contracts.
You don’t need any prior knowledge of business studies or marketing before choosing this subject. You will gain a broad introduction to the subject in your first year and study more specialist subjects in the second year. You will also be able to work on a work based learning project, giving you hands-on experience.
All progression routes outlined below are currently valid; however available progression will be updated on an annual basis in accordance with changes in UH provision.
Entry is to Level 5 or Level 6 depending on individual performance and programme specification guidelines. Additional routes may be available to students at the time of FdA completion.
- Business Management - BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Accounting - BA (Hons) Business and Accounting, BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance, BA (Hons) Accounting, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with HRM - BA (Hons) Business and Human Resources, BA (Hons) Human Resource Management, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Law - BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Marketing - BA (Hons) Business and Marketing, BA (Hons) Marketing, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Event Management - BA (Hons) Business and Event Management, BA (Hons) Event Management, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Tourism - BA (Hons) Business and Tourism, BA (Hons) Tourism, BA (Hons) Business Administration
Why choose this course?
This programme will provide you with:
- An excellent grounding in business and management relevant to the needs of a wide range of organisations.
- An opportunity to develop knowledge in a vocational and work based context.
- An opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification in two years of full-time study.
- A progression route to appropriate degree programmes at the University of Hertfordshire.
It has been designed in consultation with employers, and is for those who already have some relevant experience on which to build on or those who are interested in developing their business management knowledge and skills.
This Foundation Degree is available full-time at Oaklands College (Welwyn Garden City), North Hertfordshire College (Stevenage, and West Herts College (Watford). And part-time at North Hertfordshire College (Stevenage) and West Herts College (Watford).
What will I study?
On this programme you will be taught through a combination of lectures, small group tutorials, course work and practical assignments. Throughout you are encouraged to undertake independent study to consolidate your learning and to broaden your knowledge and understanding of the subject.
In addition, you will be exposed to the application of Business and Management skills and knowledge in the workplace through work based learning. You will study work based learning modules in year one culminating in a work based learning project negotiated and agreed with an employer in year two. You will have the opportunity to attend lectures by guest speakers from industry, relevant to your vocational habitus.
Foundation Degree graduates progress to a wide variety of careers in areas such as Business Management, Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Law, Tourism and Event Management.
Alternatively you may progress to BA (Hons) in Business Administration or an alternative specialist Honour Programme at the University of Hertfordshire.
As part of the Foundation Degree, you will have access to the Careers, Employment and Enterprise Department at the University of Hertfordshire. The University offers dedicated individualised support to help students identify possible careers and employers as well as support for start-up businesses.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.