- At the colleges, you will benefit from studying in small groups which provides a supportive environment for those who would like more support and guidance
- This environment also helps you to develop friendships with your peers and their support during your studies can be a great motivator
- You will also benefit from having the opportunity to use the university's facilities and resources, which is just down the road from the colleges
About the course
This course is available to UK/EU students only.
This two-year programme is designed to provide the essential skills, knowledge and understanding of business which will enable students to enter employment and/or progress to an honours top-up in Business disciplines. The programme offers an education in general business and management which puts emphasis on personal development and employability.
The course features a range of modules covering the core business functions, introducing marketing, human resources, finance, business organisations and a work-based learning project with a local employer. Work Based Learning (WBL) and engagement with employers is central to the Foundation Degree concept and has been embraced in this programme in accordance with the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) Foundation Degree Benchmark statement (2015). The Programme has been designed to reflect the real life experience of working in a business context, developing students to work independently and in teams. Engagement with employers is a focal point in the programme.
All progression routes outlined below are currently valid; however available progression will be updated on an annual basis in accordance with changes the University provision.
Entry is to Level 5 or Level 6 depending on individual performance and programme specification guidelines. Additional routes may be available to students at the time of FdA completion.
- Business Management - BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Accounting - BA (Hons) Business and Accounting, BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance, BA (Hons) Accounting, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with HRM - BA (Hons) Business and Human Resources, BA (Hons) Human Resource Management, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Law - BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Marketing - BA (Hons) Business and Marketing, BA (Hons) Marketing, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Event Management - BA (Hons) Business and Event Management, BA (Hons) Event Management, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Business Management with Tourism - BA (Hons) Business and Tourism, BA (Hons) Tourism, BA (Hons) Business Administration
Why choose this course?
This programme will provide you with:
- An excellent grounding in business and management relevant to the needs of a wide range of organisations
- An opportunity to develop knowledge in a vocational and work based context
- An opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification in two years of full-time study
- A progression route to appropriate degree programmes at the University of Hertfordshire.
It has been designed in consultation with employers, and is for those who already have some relevant experience on which to build on or those who are interested in developing their business management knowledge and skills.
This Foundation Degree, is available full-time at Hertford Regional College (Ware), North Hertfordshire College (Stevenage), Oaklands College (Welwyn Garden City, and Smallford Campus) and West Herts College (Watford). And part-time at North Hertfordshire College (Stevenage) and West Herts College (Watford).
What will I study?
Throughout the course, you are taught through a combination of lectures, small group tutorials, course work and practical assignments. Throughout you are encouraged to undertake independent study to consolidate your learning and to broaden your knowledge and understanding of the subject.
In addition, you will be exposed to the application of Business and Management skills and knowledge in the workplace through work based learning. You will study work based learning modules in year one culminating in a work based learning project negotiated and agreed with an employer in year two. You will have the opportunity to attend lectures by guest speakers from industry, relevant to your vocational habitus.
Foundation Degree graduates progress to a wide variety of careers in areas such as Business Management, Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Law, Tourism and Event Management.
Alternatively you may progress to BA (Hons) in Business Administration or an alternative specialist Honour Programme at the University of Hertfordshire.
As part of the Foundation Degree, you will have access to the Careers, Employment and Enterprise Department at the University of Hertfordshire. The University offers dedicated individualised support to help students identify possible careers and employers as well as support for start-up businesses.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.