LLB(Hons) Legal Practice
About the course
This six-year LLB in Legal Practice enables apprentices to build a work-based portfolio to accompany the powerful knowledge and strategies they learn in the classroom. There is also a two-year accelerated option for apprentices who are already law graduates and want to top up, making it an excellent upskilling tool.
These programmes have been designed to support professional development by offering a demonstrably high standard of education and training to apprentices, whilst they practice their advocacy skills in the University’s replica crown court and participate in a range of co-curricula activities.
Apprentices will study subjects from across the whole legal spectrum, including business and commercial law; contracts and conveyancing; criminal and tort law; litigation and dispute resolution; ethics and human rights; and English, Welsh and EU law.
Why choose this course?
- Apprentices will have the opportunity to take part in a range of co-curricular activities including Mooting, Trial Advocacy, War of Words, Client interviewing, Independent Custody Visiting and Stop and Search Scrutiny Panel Membership which will develop their skills and increase confidence.
- Our Law Court Building is equipped with a full-scale courtroom with public gallery, a fitting forum for our award-winning Advocacy activities. Here, apprentices can put their classroom learnings into practice as a way of enhancing their academic and professional development.
What will I study?
To satisfy the above regulatory and professional requirements employers will need to provide apprentices with work- based engagement that allows their development and integration of learning in the classroom in the workplace throughout the programme to incrementally develop the skills required of and from solicitors so that at the end of the programme the apprentice has acquired the skills and knowledge require of a newly qualified solicitor.
The LLB (Hons) Law is a qualifying degree, recognised by the Bar Standards Board (for barristers) and the Solicitors Regulation Authority (for solicitors) for the purpose of exemption from the academic stage of their professional examinations. The course is also accredited by the National Association of Licensed Paralegals (NALP).
The LLB Programme has also received an Institutional Exemption from the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx’s) level 6 qualifications. Students enrolled upon and successfully completing the LLB (including completion of the following modules: Land Law, Company Law and Litigation) will be eligible to apply for exemptions from the following CILEx qualifications:
- CILEX Level 6 Diploma in Law and Practice
- CILEx Graduate Fast Track Diploma (CILEx Level 6 Diploma in Legal Practice)
This means that upon graduation, you will be able to apply to CILEx to become a Graduate Member (for a fee). Graduate members will therefore not be required to undertake a Legal Practice Course or a Training Contract, and can instead enter the legal profession ahead of their peers. For further benefits of the CILEx membership please visit their website.
This course is ideal for you if you want to work in commercial practice areas, either in the UK or internationally, as a lawyer, or in a business or corporate environment.
This course is due to be renewed at a Periodic Review event which will be held in June 2020.
We anticipate that there will be further enhancements made to the course as a result of the Review.
Our website and printed literature will be updated following completion of the Periodic Review in order to provide applicants with further confirmed details on the following:
- module titles
- whether the modules are core or optional
- the expected contact hours
- how the course will be assessed
- staff teaching on the course