About the course
Apprenticeship Standard: Construction Management
Final Award: BSc (Hons) Construction Management
This programme has been designed to give apprentices the best possible apprentice experience while they combine study with employment. The degree is fully integrated within the Construction Site Manager Degree Apprenticeship Standard and combines the attainment of a BSc Hons Construction Management with the professional aspects of being a manager as laid out in the Standard.
The programme provides progression for apprentices who have achieved a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or equivalent qualification in Construction or a related area. These qualifications may have been attained as part of a Higher Apprenticeship.
In addition, the programme design reflects both the knowledge, skills and behaviours standards as defined in the Construction Site Management Level 6 Standards and the professional construction management Educational Framework at Chartered level as published by the Chartered Institute of Building CIOB (2018).
This underpinning assures alignment with the CIOB Education Framework (2018) and in-turn, to its accreditation process which identifies learning under six key themes:
- The construction environment
- Construction management
- Construction technology
- Health, safety and welfare
- Ethics and professionalism
The development of the Standard has been employer led, and the design of this programme has been, to a large extent, shaped by feedback from the employers as well as apprentices.
The programme aims to provide the education and skills necessary to employers to enable development of a suitably qualified workforce in construction management and in support of growth in this sector.
The structure of the programme is designed to offer an opportunity for completion to honours level following entry at level 5, within 3 years. (NB Apprentices satisfying the entry requirements will be given 120 credits of Accredited Prior Learning). Apprentices can gain the honours degree if they complete the full 240 credits at level 5 and have the equivalent of 360 credits. The Honours Degree fully meets the honours skills as outlined in the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (levels 5 and 6).
Benefits to apprentices
- Degree education
- Learn while you earn
- No fees or debt
- Work based, skills development
Benefits to employers
- Enhance employee engagement and increase staff retention
- Boost productivity of workforce through higher skills training
- Develop new and existing talent
- 90% Government funding stream on training and development for non-levied employers
Why choose this course?
- Provide apprentices with up to date knowledge and skills needed to equip construction management within the construction sector in diverse roles.
- Create in its apprentices, an awareness of their own personal values and the ethical dimension of professional practice.
- Provide a relevant educational base to apply for CIOB Chartered Construction Manager (MCIOB).
- Make teaching relevant to the apprentice’s workplace and to allow every opportunity for the application of learning in the workplace
As this is a part time course all our apprentices are working within industry. Our apprentices work for a range of employers in both the private and public sector including house builders, local authorities, commercial developers and consultants. Typically the apprentices work as Site Managers, Civil Engineers, Quantity Surveyors and Estimators. After graduating they often get promotions within their companies to reflect their achievements and fast tracking them to a management level.