English Language Teaching
English Language Teaching at the University of Hertfordshire aims to answer some of these questions:
- What do people do in their second language that they don't do in their first?
- Why are some people better at learning a second language than others?
- Is a second language a 'tool', or an extension of identity?
We start with a reflection on the stages of learning a second language, looking at factors that influence success and account for failure.
We consider the role of teachers, and the 'specification' for a good teacher, drawing on students' own recent and current experience, progressing to theories on the best ways of learning and teaching, and English as an international language.
- designing syllabuses
- teaching an international language
- and developing blended learning tools (like wikis and podcasts)