Creative writing offers a supportive, tight-knit community in which to develop your skills as a writer, whatever your level and goals.
At the University of Hertfordshire you will be taught by published and practising novelists, poets and dramatists, gaining a clear theoretical understanding of the discipline as well as practical skills that will shape your ability to express yourself.
Our modules introduce you to a range of literary texts, genres and practical approaches to writing, encouraging you to pursue a topic of particular interest in your Final Year. Creative writing must be studied with at least two other humanities subjects in your First Year. You don’t need any previous writing experience to take the subject at this level.
In your Second Year you can specialise in creative writing by moving to a Joint Honours programme, where half of your study will be in creative writing and half in your major subject area.
Combinations with Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) English Language & Communication with Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) English Literature with Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) History with Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) Philosophy with Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) Mass Communications
Creative Writing Joint Honours
- BA (Hons) Creative Writing and English Literature & Communication
- BA (Hons) Creative Writing and Literature
- BA (Hons) Creative Writing and History
- BA (Hons) Creative Writing and Philosophy
- BA (Hons) Journalism and Creative Writing
- BA (Hons) Media and Creative Writing
Our MA in Creative Writing offers you the chance to develop your writing and stimulate your imagination through intensive workshops and one-to-one supervision. This will lead to a dissertation in the genre of your choice: fiction, poetry, drama or creative nonfiction.
All staff are practising writers and have interests in the practical and interdisciplinary applications of creative writing. Find out more about current research projects.
Creative writing showcase
Take a look at some of our students' work. Please note that certain pieces may feature language that some may find inappropriate.