Cheryl Warren

Our MA Art Therapy programme has a longstanding international reputation, making us leaders in the development of art therapy education.

Many key art therapists who have been influential in shaping the Art Therapy profession over the past 40 years in the UK have qualified with this programme.

International students who have studied with us have become highly successful art therapy professionals in their own countries and worldwide.


University Certificate Arts Therapy and Wellbeing Foundation

Our artwork

This popular University Certificate offers a short introduction to the practical, theoretical and experiential elements of the process and profession of art therapy.

MA Art Therapy

The MA Art Therapy allows you to become a registered art therapist within clinical, educational and social care environments in the public sector in the UK.

You will continue to develop yourself as a visual artist and learn how the process of art making is central to the therapeutic relationship.

Work placements in health and education settings enable students to understand how theory and research underpins art therapy practice with different clients. You will learn how to market yourself as an art therapy professional in the area of employment that interests you.

Our teaching staff

Some of our artwork

You will be taught by a team of staff who have an excellent reputation for teaching quality and research and continue to be engaged in both clinical and artistic practice.

Students benefit from the wider Art and Design MA Research environment at the School of Creative Arts.

Your career options

As an art therapy practitioner, you could work in the:

  • National Health Service (NHS)
  • Social services
  • Main stream schools or special education
  • The voluntary sector

Some of our artworkOur Art Therapy degree is recognised for professional registration purposes by the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) and The British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT). On qualifying you will be eligible to register with the Health Care Professions Council to practice in the UK.

How to apply

Applications to these courses should be made using the University of Hertfordshire's online application system.