How Joint Honours works

A male student sitting outside the Law Court building.

In your second year at the University of Hertfordshire you can choose to continue studying both subjects equally or to major in one (75%) and minor in the other (25%).

At the end of your second year you get to review your decision and if you have chosen a major subject you can go back to studying both your subjects equally again if you prefer.

If you continued on a Joint mode you can decide to major in one subject at the start of your third year*.

*some subjects/subject combinations have specific restrictions regarding availability of major/minor/joint options check your course page for details.

What our Joint Honours students say

Why Joint Honours?

Joint Honours at the University of Hertfordshire offers you:

  • Flexibility - Keep your options open and tailor your studies to your interests.
  • Adaptability - Broaden and deepen your knowledge across two or more disciplines and learn to approach problems from multiple perspectives.
  • Employability - A multiple subject degree shows employers that you are a rounded individual with broad interests and an ability to learn new things in a variety of fields.
  • Transferable skills - Develop highly sought after skills in the work place such as time management, independent study skills and organisation.
  • Great opportunities - Study abroad or gain real experience on a work placement year, brush up your language skills or simply experience a different culture and education system - whatever you choose to do and wherever you go you're sure to have an outstanding CV when you graduate.

Joint Honours combinations

Combinations available in:

  • Business
  • Computing
  • Economics
  • History
  • Human Geography
  • Journalism & Media Cultures
  • Languages
  • Law
  • Mathematics
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
  • Sports Studies

See a complete list of Joint Honours combinations.