Support for students and staff
Athena SWAN awards recognise and reward policies and cultures which build a positive working environment for staff of all genders and at all levels.
When you study or work at the University of Hertfordshire, you will benefit from a range of support including:
Flexible working, families, carers and wellbeing support
- Carer-friendly guidance and policies, including a carer's toolkit and a UH Carers Network, providing sessions in partnership with Carers in Hertfordshire
- Day nursery for babies and pre-school children up to the age of 5
- Family friendly and wellbeing benefits
- Flexible working patterns
- Regular wellbeing events – events have included talks based on International Women's Day and 'Feel Good' fairs
- Paid Keeping In Touch (KIT) days
- School holiday childcare options through the Hertfordshire Sports Village
- Start time of no earlier than 09.30 for formal committee meetings
- Facilities for breastfeeding mothers
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) allowing you to access email, shared and personal folders remotely promoting anytime, anywhere and any device working patterns
- Working Parents' Network
Career and research development support
- A dedicated Careers, Employability and Enterprise Service
- A dedicated Research Grants Team
- 'Developing your career' course which introduces staff to tools for thinking through career development and aspirations
- Extensive 'Researcher Development Programme' for Research staff and PGR Students
- Fee-waiver policy for staff wanting to pursue part-time study including doctoral research
- Internal events including seminars on how to start looking for a job prepare for an interview and how to write a personal statement for jobs in the NHS
- Knowledge Transfer advice for research supervisors and students
- Mentoring schemes for staff (including staff on fixed-term contracts)
- Academic and Professional Career Pathways workshops
- Research handbooks, guides, information on research funding opportunities
- Research support through the staff intranet
Access to support
You can view a list of Athena SWAN resources including support and funding from external organisations on this website.
Current students and staff should log in to StudyNet and HertsHub to access the full range of Athena SWAN inspired support.
Please contact the Equality Office by email (email@example.com) or call +44 (0)1707 289362.