Disability resources to explore
On this page there is a range of resources that we hope you will find interesting, informative and useful.
University of Hertfordshire support and resources
Books of interest
- Can Bears Ski? by Raymond Antrobus
- "That's Not Right!": My Life Living with Asperger's by Alex Manners
- The Perseverance by Raymond Antrobus
- A disability history timeline
- Disability horizons - The UK’s unwritten history of disability
- Was 1995 the year that changed everything for disabled people?
- When disabled people took to the streets to change the law
- Alexander Graham Bell's oralist mission still harms deaf and hard of hearing people, say critics
- Don’t take my baby is a Bafta award-winning factual drama about a disabled couple's agonising struggle to keep their newborn baby, challenging prejudices about the disabled community.
- Special is a TV series about a young gay man with cerebral palsy who branches out from his insular existence in hopes of finally going after the life he wants.
- Rain man tells the story about how after a selfish L.A. yuppie learns his estranged father left a fortune to an autistic savant brother in Ohio that he didn't know existed, he absconds with his brother and sets out across the country, hoping to gain a larger inheritance.
- The fundamentals of caring is about a man suffering a family loss enrolls in a class about care-giving that changes his perspective on life.
- The peanut butter falcon sees Zak run away from his care home to make his dream of becoming a wrestler come true.
- The theory of everything is a look at the relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife.
- Untouchable this French film depicts how, after he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caregiver.
- We're too good for this sees stereotypes overturned in this story of physical disability, where a group of friends on a council estate find a way to assert their independence using the gifts others see as flaws
- How to ADHD channel
- Scope says H.I.D.E.
- Four awkward things to avoid saying when you meet a disabled person - End the Awkward
- Five awkward things disabled people are tired of hearing about their sex lives - End the Awkward
- Five awkward things to avoid doing when you meet a disabled person - End the Awkward