Bella’s favourite uni recipes
"This is a recipe I picked up from one of my flatmates in first year and it has stayed with me ever since. This cheat version is a sure-fire way to impress friends and family, all whilst being cheap and easy to make".
This recipe requires steaming, if you do not have a bamboo steamer you can use either a flat-bottomed colander with a lid or a flat-bottomed colander with a tea towel over the top.
- one 400g/ml tin of coconut milk
- 500g self-raising flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 500g Favourite meat (or alternative) thinly sliced (I usually go with steak or pork belly)
- favourite sauce (I usually go with a Korean BBQ sauce pouch from Aldi)
- baking paper (cut or torn into 2-inch squares)
- 2 tbsp oil
- one carrot
- half a cucumber (save the other half in the fridge)
- any other vegetables you would like to add.
- Put your choice of meat in a bowl with your chosen sauce. Mix together and cover.
- Place a pot of water on the hob and begin to bring it to the boil.
- Mix the coconut milk and self-raising flour in a bowl until it begins to come together. You are looking for the texture of play dough. Add more flour if needed.
- Once the dough is ready, roll it into a long sausage and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Using your hands or a rolling pin, stretch the dough pieces into oval shapes.
- Place some oil on the inside of the ovals and fold them gently in half so the oil prevents the two sides sticking together.
- Place each semi-oval dough piece onto a piece of baking paper.
- Once the water has boiled, place as many dough pieces into the bottom of your colander/ steamer that will fit without touching (you may need to do batches). Place the lid on and then place on top of your boiling pot of water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Put your marinaded meat into a pan and cook, stirring regularly as this will cook quickly.
- Finely slice your carrot, cucumber and other vegetables and set aside.
- Once your meat is done, turn off the heat and put it into a bowl with a fork for serving.
- Once the bao have finished cooking, remove them from the heat and serve everything together.