Browse carefully selected informative resources and academic texts for health professionals interested in kidney disease and treatments.
Self-management resources for staff
- The Health Foundation – Self-Management Support
- Kidney Care Matters - Self-care
- Life Options: Education Essential to Self-Management Success
- National Kidney Foundation guidelines: No. 5, Education on Self-Management behaviour
Key academic literature on self-management
Self-management in chronic disease; a primer
- Bodenheimer T, Lorig K, Holman H, Grumbach K. Patient self-management of chronic disease in primary care. JAMA. 2002;288(19):2469-2475.
- Greenhalgh T. Patient and public involvement in chronic illness: beyond the expert patient. BMJ. 2009;338(feb17 1):b49–b49.
- Lorig KR, Holman HR. Self-management education: History, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2003;26:1–7.
- Newman S, Steed L, Mulligan K. Self-management interventions for chronic illness. The Lancet. 2004;364(9444):1523–1537.
- Coates VE, Boore JR. Self-management of chronic illness: implications for nursing. Int J Nurs Stud. 1995;32(6):628–640.
Self-management in renal
- Costantini L. Compliance, adherence, and self-management: is a paradigm shift possible for chronic kidney disease clients? CANNT J. 2006;16(4):22-26.
- Curtin RB, Mapes DL. Health care management strategies of long-term dialysis survivors. Nephrol Nurs J. 2001;28(4):385-392; discussion 393-394.
- Su C-Y, Lu X-H, Chen W, Wang T. Promoting self-management improves the health status of patients having peritoneal dialysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2009;65(7):1381-1389.
Ongoing trials of self-management in kidney disease
- Enabling self-management and shared haemodialysis care in hospital based dialysis
- Griva K, Mooppil N, Seet P, et al. The NKF-NUS hemodialysis trial protocol - a randomized controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of a self management intervention for hemodialysis patients. BMC Nephrology. 2011;12(1):4.
Evidence of efficacy from other chronic conditions
- Lorig KR, Sobel DS, Ritter PL, Laurent D,Hobbs M. Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease. Eff Clin Pract. 2001;4(6):256-262
- Lorig KR, Sobel DS, Stewart AL, et al. Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization: a randomized trial. Med Care. 1999;37(1):5-14.
- NICE. A rapid review of the current state of knowledge regarding lay-led self-management of chronic illness.
- Warsi A, Wang PS, LaValley MP, Avorn J, Solomon DH. Self-management education programs in chronic disease: a systematic review and methodological critique of the literature. Arch. Intern. Med. 2004;164(15):1641–1649.
- Norris SL, Engelgau MM, Venkat Narayan KM. Effectiveness of Self-Management Training in Type 2 Diabetes A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Dia Care. 2001;24(3):561–587.
- Chodosh J, Morton SC, Mojica W, et al. Meta-Analysis: Chronic Disease Self-Management Programs for Older Adults. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2005;143(6):427 –438.