Accommodation for international students

students in accommodation

A comfortable, affordable space of your own where you can relax and study is an essential part of establishing your new life in the UK at the University of Hertfordshire.

As a new student to the University you have a few accommodation options available to you:

  • Live on campus within the University halls of residence or at an off campus University managed property
  • Live off campus within the private rentals sector
  • Lodge with a local family

On campus, or University managed accommodation

Living in a university hall is a great place to find your feet when you're first away from your home country and adapting to a new culture and routine. Most international students take up this option.

If you make an online accommodation application before the 31 December we guarantee you a place in University managed accommodation. Please be aware however that we may not be able to allocate you your first preference and that in order for an allocation to be made your offer of a place with the University needs to be both academically and financially unconditional.

If you would like to find out more about living within the University residences please see our main accommodation pages.

For guidance on how to accept your accommodation offer when you have met your conditions and paid your deposit please read our pdf document.

Please note that the University does not offer short stay or family accommodation.

Private rented properties

Hatfield and the surrounding area is well equipped with plenty of private rented student houses and flats.

As an international student you will be expected to either have a UK based guarantor, or pay up to 6 months rent in advance. The University is unable to guarantee your rent.

We have also launched the Partnership Accreditation for Landlords scheme with the local Hatfield Council. Find out more about the Partnership Accreditation scheme.

If you decide to choose a property outside of the Partnership Accreditation scheme please ensure that you do not transfer any money to the agent or landlord until either you have seen the property or have received and read your tenancy contract in detail.

All students are advised to do some research, particularly about tenancy agreements and deposit schemes. Don't feel pushed to sign anything you're not sure of. Before making any decisions or choosing private rented property you are advised to read our guide to living off-campus.

If you require any advice or support regarding sourcing or securing private rented accommodation email the Community Office.

Lodging with a local family

You may prefer to investigate the possibility of living with a local family, who may even provide meals. If you are interested in the option please contact us and we can provide you with a list of lodgings available, nearby.