Fully booked now!
The School of Health and Social Work, invites you to the Hypermobility Symposium which brings together a range of experienced practitioners and researchers to present recent developments in the recognition, assessment and management of joint hypermobility and the Joint Hypermobility Syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome – Hypermobility Type.
The Hypermobility Symposium will include a review of the aetiology and pathogenesis, including recent research developments. It will include presentations and discussions on both the articular and extra articular features.
Topical issues that will be covered include:
- a critical review of the assessment and diagnostic tools
- outcome measures
- management strategies within a clinical reasoning and evidence based medicine framework
- screening for injury risk
- functional rehabilitation/maintenance of health
- management of chronic pain and fatigue
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)
The Hypermobility Symposium includes lectures and workshops that aim to facilitate the development of clinical reasoning and practical skills to effectively assess and manage children, adolescents, adults and athletic /performing arts populations with hypermobility related health problems.
- Professor Howard Bird MB Bchir. MD FRCP Emeritus Professor of Pharmacological Rheumatology, Leeds University and Visiting Professor of Performing Arts Medicine, University College London, Medical advisor to HMSA and EDS Support UK
- Carol Clark PhD, MSc MCSP MMACP Lecturer, Practitioner and Researcher Bournemouth University Medical advisor to the HMSA
- Elaine Foley BA Dance Scientist, Trinity-Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, Greenwich, London
- Professor Rodney Grahame CBE MD FRCP FACP Consultant Rheumatologist, University College Hospital and Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth, London, Honorary Professor at UCL in the Division of Medicine, Affiliate Professor, University of Washington, USA
- Rosemary Keer MSc MCSP MMACP Clinical Specialist and Researcher Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London Medical advisor to the HMSA
- Dr Nelly Ninis MD MRCP MRCPCH MSc MBBS Consultant Paediatrician St Mary’s NHS Hospital, Paddington, London and Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London
- Jane Simmonds PD MA MCSP MMACP FHEA Principal Lecturer and Researcher University of Hertfordshire. Clinical Specialist Hypermobility Unit, Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London Medical advisor to the HMSA and EDS Support UK
Who should attend
The Hypermobility Symposium is intended for health professionals including: physiotherapists, occupational therapists, podiatrists, osteopaths, sports therapists and GPs
£150 including refreshments, lunch and delegate pack
Date and Location
Saturday 23 March 2013, 09:00 -17:00 (registration begins at 8:30am)
University of Hertfordshire, de Havilland Campus Hatfield.
This event is now fully booked and we cannot accept any further applications for it.
Due to popular demand we are looking to organise a similar hypermobility event very soon, so if you want to be considered please state you interest by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Hypermobility Symposium email Dr Jane Simmonds at email@example.com.