Skin surgery skills
Who should attend this course?
This Skin surgery skills course is suitable for Practitioners with a Special interest in dermatology (PwSI) who want to develop & consolidate skills in minor skin surgery.
This Skin surgery skills course will be of interest to GPs, GPwSI’s, GP Registrars, F1-2/ST 1 -3’s, Dermatology Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Skin Cancer Clinicians who are performing skin surgery on a regular basis.
This Skin surgery skills course has been developed for those practitioners who wish to develop and consolidate their skills in minor skin surgery.
It has been developed in response to Department of Health requirements that include supervised practice and formal assessment of competency (DH 2007).
Students will be required to identify a suitable practice supervisor who must be a registered practitioner who has relevant experience and skills in minor skin surgery.
The Skin surgery skills course focuses on acquisition of minor surgery practical skills and the context of service delivery:
- Patient assessment & treatment options
- Skin preparation, local anaesthesia, haemostasis
- Surgical anatomical hazards
- Surgical procedures: curettage, shave/ ellipse excision, punch biopsy
- Histology: specimens, diagnosis
- Wound closure and aftercare
- Medico-legal and other professional issues.
Download a printable version of the leaflet for the Skin surgery skills course
This Skin surgery skills course may be studied on an assessed or non-assessed basis.
You may also choose to study it as part of a longer academic award such as; MSc Dermatology Skills and Treatment, Postgraduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate.
Please contact Madeleine Flanagan for further details.
Why choose this course?
- Learn: To enhance your minor surgery practical skills and the context of service delivery.
- Course for: Practitioners who wish to develop and consolidate their skills in minor skin surgery.
- Credit/level: Postgraduate level 7 (30 credits).
How to apply
This course is open to all practitioners who wish to develop and consolidate their skills in minor skin surgery.
Credit level for this course: Postgraduate level 7 (30 credits)
See fees for UK/EU students
Contact us for International student fees
- Part Time
Key course information
- Course code: 7MED0003