Individual Journalism Award
How to enter
Age range 16-19
Please submit an original (i.e. you found the story yourself) news story which should either be about something happening in your local area whether this is an event, accident, new launch or anything that might be considered news for your local newspaper either online and in print. Alternatively, you can write an original news story about any aspect of education whether it is something happening at your school, college or any other educational setting.
The judging criteria will be as follows:
- The story should be news ie new, exciting and relevant.
- It should read like a news story. Take a look at news stories in your local newspaper, national newspaper or on the BBC to give yourself an idea of how they are structured or read our simple guide (see below).
- There should be at least one quote that you have obtained yourself. Please include the phone number or email address of anyone you contact.
- The information should be accurate.
- Spelling and grammar should be correct and the story should be clear and easy to read.
You must include an online application and upload the journalism feature including information about your name, age, contact details and school/college. All entries should be saved with your first name and surname and in a doc, docx (MS Word) or rtf format e.g. John Smith.docx or John Smith.rtf.
To enter this competition you must live in the Eastern region; Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Luton, Peterborough, Southend or Thurrock. Alternatively, if you live outside this region and have applied to study at the University of Hertfordshire you may enter. If you are on a gap year and are holding a place at the University of Hertfordshire you may enter.
Collaborations will be not accepted and only one entry into each section of the competition per person is allowed.
The closing date for entries is 17.00 on April 12 2013
Articles will be short listed by early May 2013 and you will be notified by email and the names will be published on the Mass Communications web site.
Award Ceremony in the University of Hertfordshire May 29 2013, 19.00 - 21.00.
1st — A Kindle for the winner and a cup for the school