Computer Science - Undergraduate courses
Find out more about the range of undergraduate courses we offer at the School of Computer Science.
Range of Degree titles
Please note that links to the BSc Information Technology specialist courses are temporarily missing and details of others are temporarily combined. Please see the downloads instead.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Networks)
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Software Engineering)
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Business Systems)
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Entertainment Systems)
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Web-based Systems)
- MEng Computer Science
The programme features:
- a choice of Computer Science or Information Technology routes.
- the opportunity to add a specialism to the broad base, especially in the final year.
- an optional paid placement year.
- a mix of academic, professional and practical work that prepares you for a career in the IT industry and for life-long learning.
Flexibility and choice
We offer a range of degree titles and other options but you do not need to decide between them until you have had the experience to make an informed choice.
The tables below shows the three main points when you make the choice and how you can choose between them.
Year 1 choices
|Choice of route||Description|
|Computer Science||A focus on technology and software development.|
|or Information Technology||More emphasis on the applications of computing.|
Year 2 choices
|Optional placement year||Description|
|Sandwich: a four year course with your third year spent on in paid professional work||Enhance your CV and improve your chance of a better degree.|
|or Full-time: a three year course||Finish your degree sooner.|
Year 3 choices
|Choice of Degree type||Degree titles||Description|
|flexible: the full choice of modules||BSc (Hons) Computer Science||Retain flexibility and keep your career options open.|
|BSc (Hons) Information Technology|
|or specialist: a specialism added to a broad base||BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)||Make your CV stand out if you are sure your career will be in these key areas.|
|BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Networks)|
|BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Software Engineering)|
|BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Business Systems)|
|BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Entertainment Systems)|
|BSc (Hons) Information Technology (Web-based Systems)|
When applying through UCAS, you do need to specify a particular degree title; but you can make your final decision at the stages shown above.
We also offer:
- MEng degree in Computer Science - an enhanced and extended programme for well qualified candidates
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology Management for Business (ITMB) – an innovative employer-led degree – jointly with University of Hertfordshire Business School.
- Direct entry to the final year of the bachelor's programme in Computer Science or Information Technology - as a top-up to a two year diploma or foundation degree.
- Online distance learning versions of the honours degrees in both Computer Science and IT including a top-up.