Preparing for Clearing
While everyone hopes they will have achieved the grades they need to get their place at their chosen university, it's always best to be prepared just in case you need to go into Clearing.
Here are some hints and tips to help make sure you're ready for results day:
Before results day
Do your research
You need a minimum standard for some subjects (eg medicine) so you may have to look at other subject choices.
- What alternative courses or subjects might you like to study?
- Which universities might you like to go to?
- Make a list of your top course choices.
- Make a note of all relevant hotline numbers to call on results day.
Make sure you're available on results day and the week following Clearing.
It's best not to plan any long holidays during Clearing time if possible.
You should be prepared to:
- make calls *
- deal with paperwork
- visit your chosen university
* Universities will usually only deal with the applicant themselves, not their parents, teachers or friends, so you'll need to be the one who makes the calls.
Store universities Clearing hotline phone numbers on your mobile so that you have them at hand when it is time to start calling.
+44 (0)1707 284848 is the Clearing hotline for the University of Hertfordshire.
Our phone lines will be open from 08.00 on results day (16 August 2012).
Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged – you don’t want to run out of battery at the wrong time.
Make sure you have access the internet on results day.
The UCAS website will have a full listing of universities and courses with Clearing vacancies along with contact details.
When you contact a university you will need to provide them with your Clearing Number. The number will be displayed on your ‘welcome’ and ‘choices’ page in UCAS Track.
You will also need to use UCAS Track to accept an offer for a Clearing place.