Teaching for Learning Disability
The Centre for Learning Disability Studies (tCLDS) is one of the largest educational providers of pre and post registration learning disability nursing programmes in England.
We cover a wide geographical area, including:
- Isle of Wight
- Milton Keynes
- North London
Programmes and short courses are delivered on four main sites, providing students with the opportunity to study in locations such as:
Pre-registration Learning Disability nursing degree
Our Learning Disability nursing (pre-registration) degree offers students the opportunity to develop skills and meet the diverse, and often complex health needs of people with learning disabilities.
The BSc(Hons) Learning Disability Nursing degree is firmly rooted in person centred planning approaches, and provides a wealth of personal and professional challenges.
The degree offers exciting opportunities including:
- International Module - the international module on health and social inclusion is hosted by one of five different European countries and enables students to develop a wider context of understanding and gain experience of learning disabilities from European perspectives.
- Opportunities for Elective Study - as part of all programmes the School offers its pre-registration nursing and midwifery students the opportunity to study abroad and experience clinical work in international settings. In the past we have supported students to obtain unusual and innovative placements both here and abroad, and those who have undertaken this opportunity fount it greatly enhanced their confidence.
- Positive Choices Conference - students are supported to attend the annual Positive Choices conference where all learning disability nursing students from across the UK get together. This provides invaluable opportunities for networking as well as being updated by national leaders from the field of learning disabilities.
CPD for qualified health practitioners
Learning beyond registration (LBR)
For qualified health practitioners we provide a diverse range of CPD opportunities and stimulating educational experiences which offer:
- practice oriented approaches
- academic and practice development support
- a mixture of distance, and blended learning in addition to more traditional classroom based courses
We offer a range of accredited or non-accredited short courses that run for half a day or up to 5 days.
Find out more about CPD short courses and Learning Beyond Registration (LBR) or contact us for more information.