Music Industry Management
The Music Industry Masterclass Programme.
The Music Industry Masterclass Programme is a MIM initiative but is open to all students at the University.
Positioned as a unique opportunity to hear the thoughts and insights of top music industry professionals in a relaxed panel discussion or interview format, these sessions are held at regular intervals throughout the academic year on campus.
The Music Industry Masterclass Programme is hosted by MIM lecturer Andy Saunders who says that the aim of the events is to, "break down the mystique of the music industry and demonstrate to students that senior music industry professionals are, on the whole, ordinary people, just like them, who have gone on to achieve extraordinary things."
Each September during induction week, the annual programme starts with a high profile panel discussion entitled 'The Future of Music', with several music business luminaries giving their thoughts on what they see as the key factors likely to influence the industry moving forward.
Some of the guest speakers who have recently taken part in The Music Industry Masterclass Programme include:
- Tony Wadsworth – Chairman, British Phonographic Industry (BPI)
- Alan McGee – Founder, Creation Records
- Alison Wenham – CEO, Association of Independent Music (AIM)
- Colin Lester – CEO, Twenty First Artists
- Tim Clark – Managing Director, ie:music
- Ben Beardsworth – Managing Director, XL Recordings
- Mark Collen – Senior Vice President, International Operations, Sony Music Entertainment
- Glen Matlock – the Sex Pistols
- Billy Grant – CEO, 2Point9 Music
- Stephen King – Managing Director, Believe Digital
- DJ Target – BBC Radio 1Xtra
- Austin Daboh – The Hub entertainment