Computer Science undergraduate courses summary
Find your perfect undergraduate Computer Science or IT course, with the opportunity to become a specialist in the areas of Artificial Intelligence, Networks and Software Engineering.
Our courses are designed with your future employability at the heart, ensuring that you benefit from the latest industry knowledge and technology equipment.
You can also find out more about our new course for September 2015, BSc (Hons) Software Development for Business. This new and innovative degree is employer-led and ensures you are gaining the skills and knowledge valued by our partners including IBM, Cisco Systems, Capgemini and many more.
Range of degree titles
For information about individual courses click on the links
|UCAS code||Course title||Course length|
|G402||MEng Computer Science||
4 years full-time or|
5 years with placement
|G400||BSc (Hons) Computer Science||
3 years full-time or|
4 years with placement
|GG47||BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)|
|G491||BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Networks)|
|GG46||BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Software Engineering)|
|G501||BSc (Hons) Information Technology|
|G404||BSc (Hons) Computer Science with a year abroad||
4 years including year|
at partner university
The programme features:
- a choice of Computer Science or Information Technology routes.
- the opportunity to add a specialism to the broad base, especially in the final year.
- an optional paid placement year.
- a mix of academic, professional and practical work that prepares you for a career in the IT industry and for life-long learning.
Flexibility and choice
We offer a range of degree titles and other options. Although you do need to apply for a specific course through UCAS, you do not need to decide between them finally until you have had the experience to make an informed choice. The tables below shows the three main points when you make that choice for the BSc.
End of year 1 choices
|Choice of route||Description|
|Computer Science||A focus on technology and software development.|
|or Information Technology||More emphasis on the applications of computing.|
Mid year 2 choices
|Optional year between year 2 and final year||Description|
|Sandwich: a four year course with your third year spent on placement in paid professional work||Enhance your CV and improve your chance of a better degree.|
|Year abroad: a four year course with your third year spent at one of our partner universities throughout the world||Broaden your international experience to get on in today's global economy.|
|or Full-time: a three year course||Finish your degree sooner.|
Pre final year choices
|Choice of Degree type||Degree titles||Description|
|generalist: a broad mix of modules||BSc (Hons) Computer Science||Retain flexibility and keep your career options open.|
|BSc (Hons) Information Technology|
|or specialist: a specialism added to a broad base||BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)||Make your CV stand out if you are sure your career will be in these key areas.|
|BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Networks)|
|BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Software Engineering)|
Other courses to consider
We also offer:
- MEng degree in Computer Science - an enhanced and extended programme for well qualified candidates
- BSc (Hons) Information Technology Management for Business (ITMB) – an innovative employer-led degree – jointly with the Hertfordshire Business School.
- Direct entry to the final year of the bachelor's programme in Computer Science or Information Technology - as a top-up to a two year diploma or foundation degree.
- Online distance learning versions of the honours degrees in both Computer Science and IT, including a top-up.