Office of the Vice-Chancellor
The Office of the Vice-Chancellors is a Professional Strategic Business Unit (SBU) which brings together a number of teams which support a range of corporate activity.
The Office includes the:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Group Finance Director
- Secretary and Registrar
- Pro Vice-Chancellors (currently five in number) and their personal support staff
A number of key corporate teams complete the Office. These include:
- Policy Office - providing strategic advice to the Vice-Chancellor and senior team, influencing current thinking and policy development and helping to raise the profile of the University by building relationships in political circles.
- Improvement and Planning Office - assisting in the development and delivery of the University’s strategy by driving fitness for purpose and continuous improvement across the University and running the University’s planning activities and business risk management.
- Governance Services - manages and administers central committees and boards within the University’s formal governance structure (Board of Governors, Academic Board, UH Holdings Limited (group)), is responsible for the formal written record of the business conducted and for a range of other corporate functions such as the Charitable Trust, compliance, the regulatory framework, calendars, elections, etc. Governance Services has a key role in helping to ensure the continued good governance of the institution. Governance Services is a service provider for staff across the whole University and the Governance Services team is always available to provide assistance and advice wherever possible.
- Legal and Compliance Services - Providing legal advice and support to the University Schools and central departments.
- Internal Audit Services - Providing the University’s Board of Governors, Vice-Chancellor and other managers with assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of risk management, value for money, and control and governance arrangements.
- Occupational Health and Safety - Offering a wide range of information and guidance to support, advise and aid staff and students.
- Equality Office - Supporting the University to promote equality, value diversity and maintain an inclusive ethos of dignity and respect for everyone. Corporate work includes advising on equality legal requirements and best practice, developing equality policies, priorities and action plans, delivering training and running awareness events.
- UHArts - Supporting the cultural life of the University and the wider community through the provision of high quality and affordable arts events and exhibitions.
- Centre for Sustainable Communities - Working to tackle issues such as: waste, carbon reduction and the implementation of new technologies. The Centre provides a wide range of services including: consultancy, training and qualifications and research and development.
The day-to-day running of the University is the responsibility of the Vice-Chancellor, our Chief Executive and Academic Head.