- The Board of Governors has overall responsibility for running the University.
- The Academic Board is responsible for academic quality and standards, academic policies, research and scholarship.
- The Office of the Vice-Chancellor oversees the day-to-day running of the University.
- The University also has a number of subsidiary companies which provide a range of services to students and staff and the wider community.
- The University Court advises the University on developing its objectives and considers our impact on the wider community (although it is not part of the formal governance structure).
The University has 10 Schools:
- Computer Science
- Creative Arts
- Engineering and Technology
- Health and Social Work
- Hertfordshire Business School
- Life and Medical Sciences
- Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics
And is a member of the Hertfordshire Higher Education Consortium.
The University's administration is organised across 9 non-academic Strategic Business Units (SBUs).