Supporting Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)
Stonewall Diversity Champions
As a Stonewall Diversity Champion we annually submit our Workplace Equality Index application to be ranked against other organisations across 38 different industries in the UK to measure how good we are as employers of lesbian, gay and bisexual people in the workplace. In 2014 we were very proud to be ranked 186th from 369 employers. In 2014 Stonewall commented that we made the biggest improvement of all east region employers.
This is a wonderful achievement across the institution and demonstrates our commitment to best practice for sexual orientation, and gender identity equality, diversity and inclusion.
Support at the University
We celebrate and support our LGBT community at the University in the following ways:
- LGBT Role Models a campaign to celebrate and raise awareness of the University's LGBT community.
- The Equality Office is on hand to support and provide information or signpost staff to relevant internal and external organisations and support networks.
- LGBT staff network is open to all members of staff, regardless of sexual orientation, who wish to be involved in, or support diversity issues to include making sure the University policies and procedures are fully supportive of LGBT staff.
Information on sexual orientation and transgender:
There is a wealth of information and resources to support and address the distinct needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Please take a look at a few resources that we have identified:
- Stonewall's website is a really useful starting point. It provides advice on all aspects of sexual orientation and has some useful research. There are also workplace guides to include First Steps to Trans Inclusion and a new campaign for LGBT Christian role models.
- Equality Challenge Unit has some guidance for making sure organisations are Trans Inclusive.
- The Lesbian and Gay Foundation are a useful organisation to contact for support with coming out.
- Queer Muslim project photographs and interviews from Muslim LGBT people around the world.
- NHS Gender-dysphoria - an NHS website which can answer many of your questions.
- Press for Change - this organisation is useful for transgender equality and the law.
- GIRES, the Gender Identity Research and Education Society - GIRES aims to improve the lives of trans people by education and research.
- Gendered Intelligence a company whose mission is to increase understanding of gender diversity.
- ACAS gender reassignment advice and guidance for the workplace